Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Laparoscopy and Hysteroscopy: My Experience

Remember when I told you that I had surgery? Well the day has finally come for me to tell you about my experience and what you may be able to expect if you have the same surgery.

I had a Laparoscopy and Hysteroscopy. Basically two surgeries in one. They cut me open in three different places (all on my stomach) and also entered my body through my lady parts. Yikes. Here's what it looks like:
Day of Surgery:
+ Arrival was at 6am. I was immediately taken to the outpatient room (yay for no wait time!) by the nurse and got changed into the ever-so-stylish gown.

+ First, they took a blood sample to run a pregnancy test. Precautionary of course.

+ Next, they stuck me in the belly with a blood thinner. Not exactly sure why, but I suppose this was precautionary too.

+ Then they stuck me with some type of numbing medication on my hand. Once completely numbed, they inserted my IV. The IV needle is humungo!

+ After they were finished poking me, they put wraps around my legs to prevent blood clots.

+ All the while this is happening, different people are constantly coming in & out of the outpatient room. They are doing "safety checks" to make sure you are who you say you are and to ensure you understand what risks are involved in surgery. I just signed off on the release without reading it. No need to get more nervous.

+ I was fully prepped for surgery by 6:30am. To make the time go by faster, I played on my phone and talked with my hubby, who was right by my side until the last second. What a trooper!

+ By 6:45am, I started to get extremely anxious. The nurse kept telling me that I needed to clam down because my heart rate was going so fast. Whoops. So I asked for a sedative, of course.

+ The sedative was injected into my IV about 7:00am. It took effect almost immediately. I felt myself getting slightly sleepier, but overall more calm.

+ At 7:10am, they wheeled me to the operating room. I think I gave my hubby 500 million kisses.

+ Once in the operating room, they scooted me right next to the operating bed (different than the outpatient bed). I attempted to scoot right over, but they told me to wait. Then they stuck a mask over my face claiming it was oxygen. Not sure exactly what it was, but I took one breath and I was OUT. FASTER than light. (Not even lying).

+ Next thing I know, a nurse was saying my name. The room was dim; I was in the recovery room (but I didn't know it at the time). I immediately freaked out and said, "Oh my gosh, am I in the middle of surgery???" She smiled and assured me that surgery was over and I did great. This was the waking-up-from-anesthesia part. Pure confusion. Let me tell you.

+ While my body was still in the process of essentially waking up from the anesthesia, my whole body started to shake uncontrollably. I freaked out but then they injected some type of muscle relaxer in my IV. This happened about 3 times. They said this can be one side-effect from anesthesia and that everyone reacts differently. I guess this was my body's way of responding.

+ What felt like 30 minutes later, I was wheeled to the outpatient room where I was greeted by my hubby. I don't remember a lot other than the clock read 10:10am.

+ When I was a little more conscious, I used the bathroom, ate crackers, and drank water like it was going out of style.

+ By 12:30pm, I had seen the doctor (don't remember) and was ready to go home. That's when we left.

+ The rest of the day, I slept the entire.time. Seriously. The whole entire time. It's amazing how much energy that surgery takes out of you.

The result from surgery:
They removed 3 cysts that I had developed from Clomid. They removed the scar tissue that was found on my Fallopian tubes. They also found that I had a minor case of Endometriosis. They completely removed that.

Knowing that my body is perfectly healthy now makes the entire surgery worth it. We paid a pretty penny to have this surgery and I went through physical pain, but I can say confidently that I'm truly happy that I had the surgery.

Recovery + Advice:
+ Since I was fully under anesthesia during surgery, they put a tube down my throat to breathe for me. This caused me to have a scratchy throat for a few days past surgery. I would suggest having throat lozenges handy.

+ You will definitely want to have Gas-X in full stock. Not for the gas that you're thinking of, but rather for gas the doctor puts inside you during surgery. (Refer to picture above.) This gas does not leave your body... rather it is absorbed. This can be painful in the shoulder and back area. It wasn't very bad for me personally but I've heard that it's unbearable for some people. Gas-X should speed the process up a little bit.

+ I am typically a tummy or side sleeper. By 1.5 weeks past surgery, I could sleep on my side. About 2 weeks past surgery I was able to sleep on my tummy. Otherwise, it's only possible to sleep on the back.

+ Take your medication religiously. It helps! I promise you that.

+ The most painful thing that I experienced (from beginning to end) was actually using the bathroom for the first few days past surgery. I won't go into detail, but if you've had both surgeries that I had, you will be sore. Again, taking your pain meds will help.

+ Stock up on lots of liquids in your house. Specifically Sprite. It helps with tummy aches!

+ Keep everything you could ever need on or near your nightstand. That way you don't have to get out of bed a million times.

+ Soak up all the lovin' and support from your friends and family! I got to see my parents, grandma, and best friends while on recovery at home.

+ I did go to the E.R. about a week after surgery. I was feeling very dizzy but when they did bloodwork, I was fine. Take it easy... and rest a lot!


I am happy to answer any questions, or share more personal detail with those who may be planning on having this surgery done as well. Just email me at texasmrsblog(at)gmail(dot)com.


  1. I actually had laparoscopic surgery back in July to fix a few things. I had a retroverted uterus, along with pelvic congestion, and mild adhesive disease. I'm glad I had the surgery looking back on it because I'm now brand new and can hopefully someday have children :) My experience sounded a lot like yours except I found myself in the ER later that day after my surgery from a few complications. Thanks for sharing :)

  2. I was on Clomid before my divorce and was constantly checked for cysts. I am so thankful you are doing well and shared this. Glad you are doing well and have a clean bill of health. Praise God.

  3. WOW! I'm so glad you are doing better and that the surgery went well. Thank you for sharing your story, for all of us in case we experience the same thing.

  4. Lots of details... I know this will definitely help someone out!

  5. I didn't know Clomid could cause cysts! That's kind of scary. Do they know why you had scar tissue on your fallopian tubes? Thank you for sharing this! I will remember it if I'm ever in a similar situation.

  6. Wow, you went through a lot! But all for good reasons! Glad you are healthy and getting on the right track! :)

  7. Wow, two surgeries in one. That must have been a tough recovery. So glad you are on the mend and I am sure your post will help other women!

  8. Thanks for sharing; I'm sure this will help others out immensely! And all for a good cause :)

  9. I am so glad everything worked out for you friend. It is so important to know your body and when it needs to be taken care of...I was stubborn with the warning signs and lets just say, I ended up in surgery for 6.5 hours having an ovary and Fallopian tube removed and the other one tacked to my wall so it goes NO. WHERE. haha. It is very important for us as women (especially ones with no babies yet) to take care of our bodies. Thank you so much for sharing your experience for all us lady readers :)

    xoxo MUAH!

  10. i'm glad everything went well and that you are recovery!!

  11. Thanks for sharing! I go in for a laparoscopy tomorrow, and I'm beyond nervous. They'll be removing a cyst that is about 3.5cm in diameter and checking for/removing endo. I think I'm mostly nervous about the recovery period and what kind of pain to expect, so this really helped. The hubby and I will be stopping by the store tonight for throat lozenges, Gas-X, and lots of juice and Sprite!